Monday, February 25, 2008

The Black Dragon


The Black Dragon by Allyson James
When Saba Watanabe is attacked by white dragons in human form on the streets of San Francisco, the only man she can turn to for help is the dangerously seductive Malcolm, a black dragon who once made Saba his love slave. But it's Saba who must use her rising powers to save Malcolm-and all of his kind.

Book 2 of Allyson James' Dragon Series, we pick up with Saba Watanabe introduced in book 1 and Malcolm the Blank Dragon. I'm a little torn about this book, I want to like it but plot and character wise, it just didn't do it for me. There's no one area that the book fails at, but I felt the plot was not interesting enough, the characters were good but... not deep enough.

For example, the main bad guy is a white dragon who is pure evil, but it seems super easy to kill especially with Lisa (The Silver Dragon from Book 1). Then there the big black "evil" which in my opinion didn't make much sense, and was the true bad guy, not the white dragon.

Overall I think Allyson needs to decide, if her books are going to be more hard core in terms of plot, currently everything seems rather superficial, like reading a lite version of a fantasy world. I would be hard pressed to pick up the next book in her Dragon series with so many other options available nowadays.

Overall Score: 2.5/5

No comments: